Oregon's USDA Certified Agricultural Mediation Program (OCAMP)

The Oregon USDA Certified Agricultural Mediation Program (OCAMP) is the official United States Department of Agriculture certified agricultural mediation program for Oregon. OCAMPís services are subsidized by USDA for the agricultural community to mediate on many issues. The 2018 Farm Bill increased the types of cases that can be subsidized by the state certified mediation programs.

Mediation is a way to resolve disputes using an impartial person to assist parties negotiate their differences. We provide an opportunity for you to meet face to face and discuss your situation, the circumstances that led to the conflict and any ideas you would like to explore for solutions. Topics that are available for mediation at subsidized rates are authorized under 7 CFR 785.

"OCAMP has been a critical partner in our success in mediating adverse actions under the USDA National Organic Program and coming to resolutions that work for compliance and the operations in which the regulation serves."

- Connie Karr, Certification Director, Oregon Tilth, November 2016

Mediation Process:
This process includes an informal review to look at Statutory and Regulatory requirements. Local officials will listen to your concerns, however, they do not have the power to overrule laws and regulations. You will be allowed to explain how you view the problems and how your situation is applicable to resolution. Both you and your local officials will participate in forming an agreement that works for both of you.

Types of Cases Include:
• Adverse Decisions from USDA agencies
• Compliance Issues with USDA Farm and Conservation Programs
• Grazing on National Forest System land
• Farm and Rural Development Loans
• Agricultural Credit/Debt Issues
• Rural Water Loan Programs
• Wetlands Determinations
• Crop Insurance
• Pesticide Issues
• Conflicting Agricultural Practices
• Organic Certification Disputes
• Lease issues, including land leases and equipment leases
• Family Farm transition
• Farmer-Neighbor disputes
• Such other issues as the Secretary of Agriculture or the head of the Department of Agriculture considers appropriate for better serving the agricultural community and persons eligible for mediation.

What Is The Cost?
OCAMP provides subsidized mediation services to the agricultural community in Oregon on the issues listed above. Contact us for more information. 

Click here to see OCAMP's Handbook for farmers, neighbors, and municipalities, including mediation success stories.

Click here to see our Frequently Asked Questions about OCAMP.

Click here to see a Powerpoint Presentation on Oregon's USDA Certified Mediation Program.

Click here to see a Powerpoint Presentation for the Coexistence in Agriculture Training.

Click here to see the USDA Farm Service Agency's Agricultural Mediation Program Fact Sheet about the certified programs throughout the country.

Steps in Requesting Mediation Through OCAMP

To request mediation through OCAMP, complete and return one of the fillable forms below:

Mediation request form for USDA Program issues

Mediation request form for Agricultural Credit issues (non-USDA-related)

Mediation request form for General Agriculture-related issues

1. Send the completed form by mail, email or fax:


Oregon Certified Agricultural Mediation Program

PO Box 1594

Hood River, OR 97031

Email: office@6rivers.org

Fax: 888-628-4101

2. OCAMP staff will confirm that the other party (or parties) is willing to participate in the mediation.

3. OCAMP mediators will conduct one-on-one confidential interviews with each party to learn background information about the dispute. Discussion of new information and potential solutions may occur throughout the mediation process.

4. OCAMP will assign mediator(s) from the OCAMP Agricultural Mediation Roster or internal staff based on subject matter expertise, geography, and availability.

5. The mediator will contact the parties to arrange a date, time and location for the mediation session.

6. Mediation sessions occur throughout Oregon. Locations are determined collaboratively based on the individuals and agencies involved.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, political beliefs, genetic information, reprisal, or because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA’s TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD).

To file a complaint of discrimination, write to USDA, Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Stop 9410, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call toll-free at (866) 632-9992 (English) or (800) 877-8339 (TDD) or (866) 377-8642 (English Federal-relay) or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish Federal-relay). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Additional Resources:

Oregon Farm Service Agency

Oregon Natural Resource Conservation Service

Oregon Department of Agriculture

Farm-related labor disputes

Oregon Office for Community Dispute Resolution Centers
Neighbor to neighbor disputes not involving either a creditor or an agency